Pickleball is Back!
We are thrilled to welcome back our Pickleball players and open our courts!
As you return to the J to play the game you love, your safety remains our top priority.
Since the J has re-opened, we have implemented many new cleaning protocols throughout our Fitness and Wellness Center, which will carry over to the courts. These include:
- A MERV-14 filtration system in the gymnasium (and all spaces), which exceeds NY State and CDC guidelines
- Extra hand sanitizing stations
- A reservation system to help us ensure proper social distancing. This is available on the My Wellness App. See instructions on how to use the app
Flow of Play/Rotations
In addition to strictly adhering to NY State and CDC guidelines, we are also following the best practices provided by USA Pickleball. While your experience will not be the same as the pre-COVID days, we will do our best to make your experience just like old times. Here is what you can expect:
Use the My Wellness App to make your reservations.
Players will be able to choose a specific court for each reservation. There are 4 courts available. Players can choose one specific court per reservation. Up to 6 players can reserve a court at one time. All 24 players may rotate as desired.
Here are example of two scenarios of how reservations could happen
Lauren, Jodi, Mark, and Kat want to play together. Lauren reached out to the others and says “Court A is open for the 9:30am reservation. Let’s play together.” At this point, each individual player opens the My Wellness App on their smartphone or tablet and reserves Court A at 9:30am. This video shows how to make a reservation.
Another way to approach reservations is this scenario: Lauren wants to play Pickleball at 9:30am. She sees Court A is open. She makes this reservation without coordinating with others, and is willing to play with whoever else signs up.
Pickleball at the JCC will remain a social, recreational program. Please expect to play with mixed levels.
All players must bring their own racquet and balls. Bring a water bottle. Drinking fountains will be closed, but bottle fill stations are available. Bring your own towel.
Here are some recommendations provided by USA Pickleball you may want to consider in advance for your visit. Consult their website for more information.
- Consider playing with only family members or others who reside in your household.
- Do not share paddles or any other equipment or clothing.
- Consider wearing gloves during play to avoid picking up pickleballs with your hands.
- Coordinate with your playgroup so that each person serves with a different color ball. If multiple colors are not an option, use a sharpie and prominently mark personal pickleballs with your initials.
Pickleball is played in the Eisenkraft Gymnasium. Click on the clock icon at the top of this page to see the schedule, or download the MyWellness app.
- If you hit a ball onto the other court, call out “Ball on court”. Do not run onto another court unannounced.
- Come prepared with proper footwear.
- Stretch before and after you play.
- Never dive in order to hit a ball.
- If someone falls or gets injured, all play stops until their needs are addressed.
- Stay hydrated! Bring a bottle of water with you.
New players welcome.
Our Pickleball Community is here to help. We are happy to pair you with a seasoned Pickleball buddy to teach you the fundamentals and get you started. Prior to meeting with your buddy, we strongly suggest that you acquaint yourself with the game, rules, and scoring by watching YouTube videos.
Your buddy can help you to determine your level of play and will explain the open play process. Please review our JCC PICKLEBALL ETIQUETTE page before you meet.
JCC Pickleball Etiquette
Get your FREE 7 day pass
Here are some videos that may help you get started: