I’m one of THOSE people.
You know the ones–the ones who are always late.
Believe me, I have every intention of being the first one there, but I fall into a common trap:
Say I have 10 minutes left before I need to leave. “OK, great, let me just get this one little thing done.” Twenty minutes later, I am done. (This drives my husband crazy.)
So with the days getting longer, you can imagine how I will operate. Sure it’s 9pm, but it’s barely dark out. Why isn’t this a good time re-organize the pantry?
I am also more social and relaxed during the summer. Meet friends for dinner on a school night–why not? Spend the day lounging at the beach with good book? Absolutely!
When I am having fun and feeling relaxed, time seems to disappear. I find I need to make an extra effort to stay on track to keep active.
I try to remember that fitness is just one part of total wellness. There are several dimensions of wellness, including:
Summer is my favorite time to focus on a few in particular: Social (BBQs, parties, and the JCC’s annual Wine and Cheese). Environmental (Vacations, day at the beach, or a hike.) Intellectual (Finally read that autobiography. Work on my continuing education courses for my fitness certifications.)
Summer is a time to have fun and a perfect time to balance this with total wellness. Here are some tips to stay on track:
- Physical: Use the JCC Rockland Fitness Tracking App. Check your MOVEs. Do you have 1,000? If not, pop over to the J, and get in a quick workout.
- Emotional: Reconnect with a friend you haven’t seen recently.
- Intellectual: Learn more about something you love.
- Social: Come to the JCC’s Wine and Cheese party on July 23, and bring a friend. (Yes, shameless plug.)
- Spiritual: Try Tai Chi or yoga.
- Environmental: Go for a hike or walk on a new path. Use the outdoor tracker on the JCC Rockland App to log your distance and map your route.
Make Summer of 2019 great. You have all of the ingredients for a happy, healthy, and fun summer. Make a conscious decision to get the most out of it by achieving your wellness balance.