Join us for a Special event, Laurie’s Culinary Workshop
Learn to prepare delicious autumn pareve soup, side dish, and dessert.
Perfect for Thanksgiving or any day.
- JCC Fitness Members Members $55
- Non-members $65
Space is limited. Register at the Fitness Reception desk
For more information contact Jodi at email@example.com or call 845.362.4400
Roasted Veggies and Farro
By Laurie Liner
This is a hearty-side dish, always sure to please! It’s packed with nutrient-dense veggies and farro, which is a whole grain.
Basic Preparation Tips and Guidelines
1. Dice all vegetables about 1 inch
2. Cook each vegetable on its own roasting pan or cookie sheet
1 1/4 cups farro
2 cups butternut squash
2 medium beets
1 large parsnip
1 large fennel
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses (at Fairway)
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
2 -3 teaspoons of zaatar spice
1 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 cup fresh flat parsley, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup roasted, unsalted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Place whole beets in foil and roast for about 1 hour until soft. Remove skin and dice. Set aside.
3. For the fennel, remove the top and outer layer (above the bottom). Cut lengthwise and remove the core.
4. Toss each vegetable in olive oil.
5. Roast veggies for approximately 45 minutes.
6. Cool all veggies and combine in a large bowl.
7. Place pistachios on small baking sheet lined with foil and roast for 5 -8 minutes. Cool and roughly chop.
8. While the vegetables are roasting, pour the farro into a pot of boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the farro is soft but retains a bite, about 25-35 minutes. Drain and let cool.
9. Whisk the molasses, honey, lemon juice and olive oil until smooth.
10. Combine veggies, farro, nuts, and dressing. Top with herbs, zaatar, salt and pepper to taste.
Serve at room temperature