Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love cycling. Outdoor riding is my summer passion, and coming into the winter months, I bring it indoors. I find cycling to be one of the most rewarding, exhilarating, and spiritual forms of exercise. Group cycling classes are a great way to keep rides alive when the weather turns.
A few months ago I attended one of the largest fitness conventions of the year, welcoming more than 8,000 fitness professionals from around the world.
Guess what the main focus was? Group Cycling Classes. (Can you see my smile from where you are?)
For the last decade group cycling classes have been at the top of fitness trend lists. Mainly because they offer an easy-on-the joints form of exercise that can still deliver an intense, high-energy workout. Participants are on their own bikes allowing riders to go at their own pace and have an individualized workout. Classescan easily accommodate all fitness levels for a safe and effective total body workout.
On my last day at the convention I attended a ride led by a fitness company called Stages. About 20 minutes in, with sweat dripping down my forehead, I had my “aha” moment: We need this at the J. It is the perfect way to upgrade and evolve our program, which will be called Cycle 450.
Features of the New Bikes Include:
- A quick shifting lever with three gears, in addition to the resistance knob
- Easy-to-read screens that provide instant feedback and stay illuminated
- Easy-to-adjust seats and handlebars
- Improved seats
Why is it called Cycle 450?
- It’s part of our branding initiative to introduce new, innovative programming. You may be familiar with our Fitness 450 program, which relies on interval training. (High energy bursts mixed in with periods of active rest.) We will bring this front-and-center to our cycling program.
Light weights will be added into the cycling studio (racks will be under the bike seats). Classes will have the option to incorporate upper body endurance-based strength moves.
- 450 is the JCC’s street address (450 West Nyack Road)
- This month we will be completing updates to the lighting and ambiance – in addition to the mural on the back wall.
- Our cycling instructors will be attending an in-depth training and development workshop that will focus on coaching and program design.
All Cycle 450 classes will accommodate all fitness levels. There will be no additional charge, group cycling will still be included in your JCC Rockland Fitness membership. Here are some tips to make the most of your ride:
- Arrive a few minutes early to set-up your bike. First-timers: Introduce yourself to the instructor, who can help you set-up your bike.
- Bring a water bottle, a towel, and cycling shoes if you have them.
- Come to class well hydrated, and have a light snack about an hour before if possible. This will help properly fuel your workout and stave off the dreaded “bonk.”
- Always remember, it is YOUR ride, so don’t hesitate to back off on your gear, slow down, or take a break when you need one.
- Please let the instructor know If you have any special health concerns or physical issues.
Cycling is personal—ultimately you are the only one who can determine how hard you work and how you feel leaving class. As instructors, it is our job to give you a fun and challenging workout that leaves you feeling energized and ready to take on whatever else comes your way!
I look forward to seeing you on the new bikes. It’s gonna be a blast!